DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER PROTECTION
The Consumer Protection is a Department under the Directorate of Air Transport of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) was launched in March 2001, to ensure that all aviation consumers obtain the best services in air transportation.
To serve as the eagle eye of the industry by being responsible for informing, educating and protecting consumers as well as ensuring the provision of quality services in the aviation industry
“Your satisfaction…….. Our delight”
To ensure that service provided in the aviation industry are of the highest standard comparable to what obtains in any other part of the world and ensure that consumers are well informed of their rights and responsibilities.
MAIN ACTIVITIES AND FUNCTIONS
- The main objective of the Directorate of Consumer Protection is to create efficient and effective consumer protection machinery that will promote quality in service, mutual confidence among stakeholders and patronage of the aviation industry in Nigeria through the following measures, amongst others:
- Enforcing compliance of airlines and other service providers with relevant regulations.
- Collecting, collating and following up on consumers’ complaints to satisfactory conclusion;
- Ensuring that appropriate compensations are paid to complainants.
- Organizing and conducting public enlightenment programmes on the rights and responsibilities of both providers and users of air transport and allied services
- Cargo monitoring and inspection.
- Participate in inter-facilitation agencies periodic meetings.
- Publication of journals periodically showing number of complaints resolved/unresolved and airlines performance assessment.
- Participation in various stakeholders meetings, fora, symposia e.t.c, where aviation issues are discussed.
- Guiding individual service providers in setting up Consumer Affairs Unit to promote quality and consumer care in their respective operations;
- Publication and circulation of enlightenment materials;
- Collaborating with relevant government agencies NGOs, aviation media and industry trade associations on consumer issues;