This procedure is issued to provide an over-view on the recommended Five Phase certification and approval process of Approve Training Organizations (ATO) in compliance with the Nigerian Civil Aviation Regulations. The Five Phases are:
- a) Pre – application;
- b) Formal Application;
- c) Document Evaluation;
- d) Demonstration and Inspection;
- e) Approval or Certificate Issue/Grant or Denial (Certification);
The steps mentions below are all in the five phases of the certification process.
Initial inquiry or request about CAA Certification; will be send writing to:
The Director of Licensing,
Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (N.C.A.A),
Muritala Mohammed International Airport,
Prospective applicant obtains Regulations and Advisory Materials in hard copies or printed online at http://www.ncaa.gov.ng/directorates/licensing-standards/ for guidance and compliance.
NCAA (Licensing Directorate) Provides the Prospective ATO Pre-assessment Statement (PATOPS) Form to prospective applicant; all the required documents and certification phases are specified in the Nig. CARs, Part 3;
Licensing Office receives and reviews PATOPS for acceptance and Completeness.
The Prospective ATO Pre-assessment Statement (PATOPS) form is used to evaluate the complexity of the proposed training for the establishment of the certification team.
The Director, Licensing Standards will appoint a team based on the complexity of the proposed training to drive the certification process, and a Certification Project Manager (CPM) will be selected among them. The assigned certification CPM will be the designated principal spokesperson for the Director General in the whole process of certification.
- If the PATOPS is accepted, the team CPM schedules and conducts Pre-application meeting with applicant.
- When the PATOPS is Unaccepted, a letter is written to the applicant within 24working hours, inform applicant of reasons for non-acceptance. (Further processing will depend on when the applicant submits the outstanding documents);
- The certification team evaluate result of the meeting, if acceptable the applicant submits Formal Application with required attachments to Licensing Office. If unacceptable, Inform applicant, in writing, of reasons for not proceeding with certification?
- When corrective action is taken; return to step 6 (a), if corrective action is NOT taken; return PATOPS to applicant.
- Certification Team performs cursory review of Formal Application submitted in step 7(a). If acceptable the CPM schedules and conducts Formal Application meeting.
- If unacceptable return application, inform applicant in writing of reasons for non-acceptance. (Further processing will depend on when the applicant resubmits with corrections);
- When corrective action is taken; return to step8 (a).
- Certification Team carries out In-depth reviews of applicant’s documents (Document Evaluation) for compliance and Acceptance/Approval;
- If unacceptable return unsatisfactory document, inform applicant in writing of reasons for non-acceptance. (Further processing will depend on when the applicant resubmits with corrections);
- When corrective action is taken; return to step 9 (a).
- Certification Team evaluates applicant’s Demonstration of compliance (Demonstration Inspection);
- If unacceptable, inform applicant in writing of reasons for non-acceptance (Further processing will depend on when the applicant resubmits with corrections);
- When corrective action is taken; return to step10 (a).
- Certification Team Prepare and Approve ATO Certificate and Training Specifications (Certification) and Coordinate with DG NCAA through Director of Licensing;
- Issue Certificate and Training Specifications;
- Complete and Distribute Certification and other internal CAA Reports. Establish Certification and Surveillance File.
NOTE: That from step 7 to 10, there will be a discontinuation of the certification process; if the corrective action is NOT carried out by the applicant, and as such the DG NCAA will be notify through the Director of Licensing.